A Pair of High-Scoring, Age-Worthy Pinots from a Sonoma Icon

The Martinelli family has been a name synonymous with Sonoma’s Russian River Valley since the 1880s. Since that time, the winery has been a source of many of the great wines of the region, often indirectly, as they sell 90% of the grapes that they grow to other wineries. The family then retain the remaining 10% of production, which comes from their very best plots, to produce tiny volumes of estate bottled wine, spread over several varietals.

Robert Parker calls the Martinellis “One of the great families of Northern California, and of course, one of the highest quality producers.” He puts much of this quality down to the influence of Marcassin’s Helen Turley, who was winemaker at Martinelli and who mentored the current winemaking team. He says that she “…left a profound influence on the quality of the Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, Syrahs and Zinfandels, a fact that can’t be overstated.”

Their two most notable Pinot Noirs are from the Bondi Home Ranch and Zio Tony Ranch vineyards, both of which are named after Martinelli’s ancestors. In giving these wines 97 and 96 points respectively, Antonio Galloni comments: “This is a fabulous set of wines from the Martinellis, one of Sonoma's old-guard families. The 2015 Pinot Noirs in particular are special…and while the wines are quite rich, they aren't heavy.”

The 2015 crop was reduced by 35%-50%, mainly due to insufficient rainfall and that has resulted in powerful, concentrated wines that, whilst not for the faint hearted, retain freshness and balance. If your tendency is towards low alcohol Pinot that is light in colour and style then these wines are not for you. These are rich, dense, textured and voluptuous yet despite that, they are not overdone. In fact, their intensity, concentration and depth means that they benefit from a couple of years cellaring and will continue to age for many more beyond that.

Due to the tiny production, we can only offer a handful of cases of these wines on a first come, first served basis. They are packed in 12 bottle cases but, should you wish to try both vineyards then we can offer 6 bottles of each in this instance.
 

Minimum Order – 12 bottles
These wines are in stock, immediately available for delivery


2015 Pinot Noir Bondi Home Ranch, Martinelli

Colour Region Vintage Wine Size Cs Bts GBP
Price
Per Score Help
U.S.A.2015Pinot Noir Bondi Home Ranch, MartinelliBT90750.00cs97 AGAdd to Basket
All prices exclude UK duty & VAT and all wines are offered subject to remaining unsold. E&OE.

“The 2015 Pinot Noir Bondi Home Ranch, from Marinelli's coolest Pinot site, is another stunner. Silky, nuanced and wonderfully expressive on the palate, the 2015 possesses remarkable intensity but in a decidedly mid-weight style by Martinelli standards. Dense and compact in its center, the 2015 needs at least a few years to open up. Even today, though, it is dazzling. Early to bloom and late to ripen, Bondi Home Ranch enjoys an especially long growing season.”

97 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous.com


2015 Pinot Noir Zio Tony Ranch, Martinelli

Colour Region Vintage Wine Size Cs Bts GBP
Price
Per Score Help
U.S.A.2015Pinot Noir Zio Tony Ranch, MartinelliBT46720.00cs96 AGAdd to Basket
All prices exclude UK duty & VAT and all wines are offered subject to remaining unsold. E&OE.

“The 2015 Pinot Noir Zio Tony Ranch is another fabulous wine from Martinelli. Dark, round and inviting, the 2015 possesses striking depth and intensity. Succulent black cherry, plum, spice, leather and rose petal shape this utterly compelling Pinot. Sweet floral notes add attractive aromatic lift and refinement.”

96 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous.com



Minimum Order – 12 bottles
These wines are in stock, immediately available for delivery
Wines are offered in bond, subject to confirmation, E&OE