Buying En Primeur
"En Primeur" is the purchase of wine whilst it is still maturing in barrel. The main advantages of buying en primeur are:
- To purchase wines at the initial release prices. Wines re-released after bottling should usually be more expensive (although this has not always been the case recently).
- To secure allocations of small-production wines that may not be commercially available after en primeur release.
- To own a wine from the start of its life - provenance is priceless.
- To purchase a birthyear vintage for a child, grandchild or godchild.
- To be able to choose large format wines – magnums, double magnums and imperials, or half bottles.
- To purchase the latest vintages of a Chateau that one has followed and purchased over the years. This is especially important for wines where there is always more demand than there is supply. Chateaux with small productions such as l'Eglise Clinet and Tertre Roteboeuf spring to mind.
The 2016 wines will be bottled towards the end of 2018 and will be released in the Spring of 2019.
You can buy en Primeur in complete confidence from Farr Vintners. We are Britain's biggest fine wine merchant, with a 39 year record of successful and reliable trading. We have won more awards than any other merchant, and are included in the PriceWaterhouseCoopers Profit Track 100 list - further testament to our record of profitable trading. No British wine company buys more classed growth Bordeaux than we do and, consequently, we enjoy excellent relations with the leading Bordeaux proprietors and negociants.
Furthermore, we pride ourselves on offering our customers seriously informed and honest advice on what to buy and, just as important, what not to buy. It is essential to buy en primeur from a successful wine merchant with a good reputation and a track record of delivering the goods (and not just at the cheapest possible price). Please do let us know if one of our competitors is offering the same wine as us at a lower price but remember that peace of mind and reliability of supply are worth far more than a slightly discounted price.
The wine lists in the En Primeur section of our site show all available wines with the price per case of standard 12x75cl bottles. Clicking on the wine name will show if there are other bottle sizes available, and if so, these are listed with their prices (inclusive of an additional bottling charge). All wines are sold lying in bond UK.
Our en primeur prices include delivery from France, insurance and warehouse receiving charges, but they exclude duty and V.A.T. which will be payable only if wines are later cleared from bond. Customers who wish to buy for export, under bond transfer or under bond collection have nothing further to pay.
Please note that our usual £500 minimum order does not apply to En Primeur orders. There are NO storage charges for en primeur wines. Storage charges at our standard rates will subsequently be charged only on wines left in bond with us after June 2019, and again, we will contact all our customers before this date to advise of the arrival of wines in the UK and to obtain storage or delivery instructions.